Monday, September 21, 2009

CRAFTASTIC UPDATE: Recycled Chunky Crayons

Okay, I know I said I was going to attempt the fabric hoop art project from Sew 4 Home over the weekend but I didn't get to it. And it wasn't because I was being lazy! Gabrielle and Alaina's first birthday party is on Saturday so I decided to make some of the recycled crayons from Makes & Takes as favors instead. Their party theme is butterflies so I broke out a butterfly cookie mold and 8 boxes of crayons and got to work.


The hardest part of this project is peeling the paper off of the crayons. It wasn't long before I realized that I should have gotten the cheapies from the Dollar Store instead of the swanky Crayolas. The cheapie crayon labels come right off - obviously, they're not nearly as worried about choking hazards as the folks at Crayola are. Some of those suckers just wouldn't budge (I'm looking at you, Blue Violet and Scarlet!). But I peeled and peeled and peeled until I just couldn't peel anymore. My nails were a disaster by the time I was done, but it was all worth it when I saw the finished product:



My butterfly molds were pretty big so it took about 8 crayons to make each one and if I do this project again, I'll definitely get smaller ones.  My plan is to put each butterfly in a cellophane bag with the shredded crayon labels at the bottom like grass.  I'll post pictures of them all wrapped along with all of the other fun crafts from the girls' birthday bash next week.  And the moral of this story?  If I can do this, you can too!

Images: AFOMFT
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

3 comments:

  1. What a fun party favor idea! Very unique, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. Isn't it amazing the things that make us want to be Super Mom? Can't wait to see all the party pics after next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danielle - you're amazing. These are so cute! The great thing is that you could do it with anything that has a mold - cars, trucks, hearts, etc. I wonder if they make a Transformer mold. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love!