Monday, May 16, 2011

CRAFTASTIC: Easy DIY Father's Day Artwork

Psssst!  Father's Day is just a month away.  Have you started thinking about gifts yet?  Yeah, me either.  So I thought I'd share a simple craft project  idea I made last year that was a huge hit with the hubster in case you want to make one too:


I'm sure you've seen similar ideas out there but this is an easy and inexpensive gift that dads and grandfathers will cherish.  Here's how I made mine:

1.  I took a series of pictures of Gabrielle and Alaina holding a blank piece of poster board.  (I knew there was no way to get two one-year-old to sit nicely together holding a letter!)

2.  I picked the four shots I liked best and added the letters and punctuation onto the blank poster board using Photoshop.  If you don't have Photoshop, you can achieve the same effect by using Picnik, which is free.

3.  I printed out the photos, arranged them in a four-windowed frame (I wanted both girls in there twice, hence the exclamation point) and wrapped it up!

My husband loved his gift (and so did my dad who got his own version which is a benefit of using the blank poster board - you can switch up the letters easily) and immediately hung it in his office.  I've decided to do another one this year so eventually we'll have a Dad's Day gallery to look back on.

Here are a few twists on the same idea:

From Brassy Apple
 
Via Brassy Apple

From Giggling Stamper


From Twinkle Toes


From Smashed Peas & Carrots
Stay tuned for more fun DIY Father's Day gift ideas this week and if you have a link to something you made to celebrate dad, be sure to share it in the comments section!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

4 comments:

  1. That is such a great idea! I love that you photoshopped in the letters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat idea! I'll have to do something for fathers day...not sure what lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [17 May 02:15am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love personalized Father's Day gifts like this! This would also be great for any type of gift (Mother's Day, someone's birthday, an anniversary... so many options!).

    I've recently been digging up some great Father's Day gift ideas on the web. You can check them out here if you're interested: http://www.allfreeholidaycrafts.com/Fathers-Day-Crafts

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love!