Thursday, February 2, 2012

ANYTHING GOES THURSDAY: Easy Peasy Valentine's Day Rice Krispie Treats


Okay, I admit it - I'm insanely jealous of all of the moms out there who can bake.  And make pretty iced cookies.  And perfect cake pops.  I apparently don't have that "make-it-from-scratch" gene.  But what is in my DNA is the ability to get creative with store bought stuff (see my Halloween example here!) so I decided to give re-making some Valentine's goodies a try and I have to admit, they didn't come out half bad.


Want to make some Easy Peasy Valentine's Day Rice Krispie Treats of your own?  You only need a few ingredients:


Rice Krispie Treats (no, I don't make my own but if you want to, go crazy!) and whatever you want to decorate with.  I chose conversation hearts (because they were on sale - 2 bags for $2) and Betty Crocker cookie icing in a bag.  Then grab a heart-shaped cookie cutter and some wax paper and follow these six simple (and when I say simple, I mean SIMPLE!) steps and you'll be all set!

Step 1: Unwrap a Rice Krispie Treat (aka RKT) or if you actually made your own, just cut out a chunk and place it on wax paper.


Step 2:  Use a rolling pin or other heavy object to flatten the RKT into a square-ish shape.


Step 3: Take your cookie cutter and press it into the RKT.


Step 4:  Remove excess RKT (this is so much easier to do before you pull up the cookie cutter).  


Step 5: Set aside scraps to use later (or you can eat them if you're a glutton like me) and remove cookie cutter (you may need to brush off some crumbs and smooth the edges).


Step 6:  Decorate as you please.  I did a combination of adding candy hearts:


And using icing.


I like the Betty Crocker bagged icing because it hardens pretty quickly.  Using it takes a little while to get the hang of so you may want to practice on your wax paper first, and I also suggest having some toothpicks nearby to use for touch ups.  And get creative with what you use to decorate - I dipped a foam scrapbooking stamp in the icing to make this monogrammed heart and it turned out to be my favorite.


After the icing hardens, you can wrap the hearts up and top them with a fun tag (check out tons of free printable versions on my Valentine's Day Pinterest Board) or you could even add a stick and hand them out as lollipops.  The possibilities are endless!


No, not all of RKTs turned out perfectly (that one on the right kind of looks like it's bleeding from the middle....) but hey, they were fun to make and even the not-so-cute ones taste delicious.  So go ahead and get your semi-homemade groove on!  

Images: AFOMFT
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

1 comment:

  1. Cute. RKT are a big hit at our house. My boys take the pre-made ones for snack at school quite often:) I usually make a batch of homemade ones if I'm going to decorate or make shapes, but the prepackaged ones work good in a rush!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the love!